Friday, August 17, 2007

She's here!


On July 23, 2007 Caroline Brooke Garner was born.

I started to have contractions on Saturday night while Jake and I were at the movie No Reservations with his parents and our friend Kinsley. They were about 30 minutes apart and were very short. They continued throughout the night and into the next morning but then stalled for a few hours in the afternoon. Jake and I thought that it could be false labor. The contractions returned later that night so we decided to go ahead and go to the hospital and find out what was going on. They confirmed that I was in labor and was 2 cm dilated. I was then given the option to be checked into the hospital or go home and sleep in my own bed. I decided to go home and sleep in my own bed. I did not sleep much Sunday night because the contractions became stronger and closer together. Jake and I woke up early Monday morning because I had my weekly doctors appointment and I insisted on going and having my doctor tell me weather or not to go to the hospital. He told us that I was about 2 cm dilated and to go check in at the hospital and he would see us over there. We were very excited, but I was scared at the same time. We got checked in at about 10:30am and were given a huge room! I kept joking that we could have fit 4 or 5 bunco tables in there with me. I was given an epidural around 1:00pm and then Jake and I took a nap so we could be rested for the rest of the day/night. We had family and friends come visit us until about 6:30pm when my doctor came in and said I was 9 cm and it was almost time to push. I started to push about 7:00pm and then at 7:49pm she was born. Pushing was not bad at all because of the epidural. I suggest every woman have one!

The hospital that we were at has a waiting private family waiting room attached to every labor and delivery room so our parents, sisters and other family members and friends were there to hear Caroline's first cry. We then had everyone come in the room in order to meet her. It was a long day and Jake and I were tired. We were moved into a postpartum room at 11:30pm and got settled. About an hour later they brought Caroline in to "room in" with us during our hospital stay. We had a good night taking care of her, but not much sleeping happened. It was so much fun, but a lot of hard work. We had a ton of visitors the next day . They brought candy, cards, flowers, food, and everything else you could think of. It was great. I did not get much sleep Tuesday night because Caroline and I stayed up teaching each other how to breastfeed. Jake did not get much sleep either because she kept waking up wanting to eat.

We were discharged on Wednesday a little before noon and we were so excited to get out of the hospital and get some fresh air. We arrived at home and tried to get settled in a bit. We had a good first night and Caroline slept for about 3-4 hours at a time which we were very pleased about.

We are going to try to post at least once a week so please check back when you get a chance.

Love,

Kelley, Jake and Caroline











1 comment:

Grandaddy said...

My dear Caroline, this is your Grandaddy Jake. I loved you from even before the first cry I heard from you and always will. You are a beautiful little thing and you felt so wonderful when I was finally allowed to hold you.

Don't forget your Grandaddy has many, many kisses he needs to share with you over many years to come. We will play games and do wonderful things together. I will take you places and teach you how to do things that are fun and I hope you will enjoy.

Your sweet Mommy was such a wonderful child. She gave her mother and me tons of hours of amusement and love. She was a happy baby and I hope you will be also.

Remember, if those old parents of yours do things that you don't like, call me and I will come over and get things straightened out.

All my love, little one.

Grandaddy Jake